|Everton Footbal Club
|Year Club Formed:
||Goodison Park, Liverpool. L4 4EL
|Ticket Sales Telephone:
||0891 121 599
|| Royal blue shirts with white trim, white shorts
and blue socks.
||White shirts, white shorts with blue trim and
The club's roots lie in
an English Methodist congregation called New Connexion,
which decided to build a new chapel in the Liverpool
area in 1868. The following year, the church bought
some land on Breckfield Road North, between St. Domingo
Vale and St. Domingo Grove. This was located near the
district of Everton, which had become part of the City
of Liverpool in 1835.
St. Domingo Methodist Church's new chapel
was opened in 1871 and six years later, Rev B.S. Chambers
was appointed Minister. He was responsible for starting
a cricket team for the youngsters in the parish. Because
cricket can only be played in the summer, they had to
find something to play during the other seasons as well.
So a football club called St. Domingo F.C. was formed
in 1878. A lot of people outside the parish were interested
in joining the football club so it was decided that
the name should be changed. In November 1879 at a meeting
in the Queen's Head Hotel, the team name was changed
to Everton Football Club, after the surrounding district.
Everton originally played in the southeast
corner of Stanley Park with the first official match
taking place in 1879. In 1882, a man named J. Cruitt
donated land at Priory Road which became the club's
home for a couple of years before moving onto Anfield
in 1884 which was Everton's home until 1892 when a rent
dispute led to Everton leaving the ground and to the
formation of a new, rival team. The new club, which
was named Liverpool F.C., set up at Anfield and Everton
moved onto Goodison Park where they remain to this day.
Ever since those events a fierce rivalry has existed
between Everton and Liverpool, albeit one that is generally
perceived as being more respectful than many other "derbies"
in English football.
Goodison Park has staged more top flight
football games than any other ground in the country
and became the only English club ground to host a 1966
World Cup semi-final. It was also the first English
ground to have undersoil heating, two tiers on all sides
and a three tier stand. Goodison is the only ground
in the world that features a church in its grounds-
St Luke the Evangelist at the corner of the Main Stand
and the Gwladys Street End.